BLOWN AWAY: Fencing at the front of the Normanville Surf Lifesaving Club was damaged in the wild weather this week. Photo: nEverest Photography.
Nanjing Night Net

RELATED: The Times’rolling coverage of the wild weather this week.

REGION –The Fleurieu Peninsula copped a lashing over the last five days, with extreme weather causing chaos across the region.

More than 2000 calls for assistance were made across the state to the SES since Saturday, mostly from metropolitan Adelaide, the Adelaide Hills, and the Fleurieu Peninsula.

On Monday alone, the SES responded to more than 400 callouts between 3am and 3pm, with a majority of those in the Mount Lofty Ranges and on the Fleurieu.

Tuesday was one of the busiest days for the SES in its history, with crews attending over 1080 jobs, including 133 in the Hills Fleurieu region.

SES chief officer Chris Beattie said of the2000 calls for assistance from across the state, most werefrom around the greater metropolitan Adelaide area and to its north, in the foothills surrounding to the east, and down the Fleurieu Peninsula.

About 80 per cent of the calls were related to trees down, withwind damage to properties, roofs, fence lines, and sheds also on the list.

“The weather conditions that we’ve seen are not unprecedented for South Australia but they are extraordinary.It’s been some years since we’ve had an event of this nature,” he said.

He said there was a significant increase ofmotor vehicle accidents, primarily related to the icy and slippery conditions on the roads.

According to Bureau of Meteorology statistics, the strongest wind gust was at Hindmarsh Island just before 4am on Tuesday, when a 109km/h gust was recorded.

Another gust of 104km/h hit Strathalbynjust before 7am on Monday.

Hail was experienced at a number of places across the Fleurieu Peninsula, and thousands of people were left without power, including hundreds at Finniss, Tooperang, and Strathalbyn who didn’t have electricity for up to 36 hours.

Two boats broke loose from their moorings at Granite Island on Sunday, and the Victor Harbor and Goolwa Sea Rescue Squadron was called in to tow them.

Victor Harbor and Goolwa Sea Rescue Squadron deputy leader Don Rumbelow said the squadron was first called out around 12.30pm, and an hour later they were required again.

“We towed them off the rocks at Granite Island. We got one in to the beach at the (Victor Harbor) yacht club, and we got the other one halfway and it sank, off the memorial gardens,” hesaid.

Emergency services ministerPeter Malinauskas praised the efforts of 1700 SES and more than 500 CFS volunteers, plusMFS personnel, who helped with clean-up efforts across the state, and the SA Power Networks crews who had worked in the extreme weather.”As a government we’re certainly very grateful for all the hard work they do.”

SA Health acting chief medical officer Dr Nicola Spurrierreminded peopleto look out for elderly or vulnerable friends, relatives and neighbours during the coldweather.

“We often hear of people – particularly the elderly – reluctant to use their heating during colder weather because of the costs involved, but it is important to keep the body warm to stay healthy,” Dr Spurrier said.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.